Extraordinary Results, Again and Again
For more than 40 years, Hertz Schram has provided high-quality legal services to clients in Metro Detroit, throughout Michigan and across the country. During this time, we have obtained many notable results for our clients. We invite you to view the sample results listed below, and then contact us to discuss your legal needs in any of these areas of practice.
To see what our satisfied clients have to say about the representation we have provided in a wide range of practice areas, please view our Business Testimonials page.
- Our attorneys recently assisted a major lending institution in revamping its procedures, systems and documents used in its commercial lending practices.
- We recently reached a $625 million civil settlement with AmerisourceBergen Corporation and some of its subsidiaries. Our clients were Daniel Sypula and Kelly Hodge acting on behalf of the the Office of Inspector General of the Department of Health and Human Services (“HHS”) and numerous States in a qui tam lawsuit. The suit involved a pre-filled syringe program that led to numerous violations of the False Claims Act wherein the businesses submitted incorrect claims to state and federal healthcare programs, including Medicare, Medicaid and TRICARE.
- We recently defended a leading national long distance telephone company against a claim that it mishandled and mis-billed a portion of the three million calls it carried for a pay telephone company. The case was decided after the presentation of evidence and argument during the course of over twenty arbitration sessions.
- A Financial Advisor charged with multiple counts of mail fraud, interstate transportation of stolen property and money laundering acquitted of all counts in federal jury trial.
- Negligent homicide charge against truck driver dismissed following preliminary examination.
- Obtained declination of prosecution for a Clean Water Act violation involving discharge by a corporate entity of prohibited material into a local tributary.
- Dismissal of RICO charge for a marijuana dealer after appeal to the Michigan Court of Appeals.
- Probation for a client in a case involving more than $3,000,000 in structured funds.
- Probation for an individual charged with RICO and various chop shop violations in Wayne County Circuit Court.
- Obtained a declination of charges for an individual alleged to have defrauded investors of in excess of $5,000,000 in a Ponzi scheme.
- Obtained a declination of prosecution for a health care practitioner investigated for manslaughter in connection with an investigation into health care facility operations.
- The firm has represented numerous employees wrongfully subjected to racial, sexual or age discrimination, and wrongful workplace harassment. Recently, the firm obtained a substantial settlement for a woman subjected to racial and sexual harassment at a major Detroit-area accounting firm. The firm also received large settlements for two women subjected to sexual harassment while working at a metro area automobile-related business.
- Conversely, the firm has also successfully defended a number of business clients in these types of suits. The firm currently or in the recent past has represented several local real estate management companies, banks, professional practices and automotive-related businesses in the defense of unwarranted claims of wrongful discharge and discrimination.
- Our firm successfully and amicably settled a case brought by our client against a major company, its ad agency and a television network regarding wrongful use of an academy award winning song in a commercial.
- The firm recently represented one of the country’s premier mall owners in the acquisition of a regional mall site in Macomb County.
- The firm has represented a number of different developers in the acquisition development and syndication of a variety of multi-million dollar apartment developments. One of these also involved a corresponding $30 million dollar joint venture agreement with a union investment development fund.
- In addition, we recently negotiated and closed upon the acquisition and/or sales of well in excess of $50 million in office, retail and industrial real estate projects. These projects frequently involved complex issues concerning multi-layered 1031 exchanges, syndications and other sophisticated business structures designed to address the unique needs of our clients.
- We have had great success in representing clients in the restructuring of their loans which lending institutions deem non-performing. This is in addition t the successful restructuring of the finances and operations of businesses in the manufacturing, construction, service and retail industries, among others.
- In our 25 most recent securities arbitrations, the firm obtained dismissals for our clients in 23 cases. In the remaining 2 cases, the arbitration awards were less than the settlements offered prior to arbitration.
- Our firm served as national counsel for two international brokerage firms in the successful administration, processing and litigation of more than 800 arbitration cases in 36 states arising out of allegations of limited partnership fraud.
- We also defended a Wall Street broker-dealer in a federal court securities fraud lawsuit filed by two major municipal pension funds seeking $14 million in damages in connection with the sale of research and development securities. The case was dismissed by the United States District Court, and affirmed by the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals and United States Supreme Court.
- The firm successfully defended a Registered Investment Advisory firm and its principals in a case brought by the Securities Exchange Commission. The client rejected the settlement offer presented by the SEC and the case was tried in Federal Court with a complete dismissal of all counts.
- Guided client through a FINRA investigation and ultimately resolved the matter so that nothing showed up on the client’s U4 and it was, according to the client “as if FINRA had never talked to [him].”