Out-of-State Probate

Have you lost a loved one and been named the personal representative of his or her estate? Do you live outside of Michigan? If so, you likely have many questions.

  • Do I have to travel to Michigan to be a personal representative?
  • If traveling to Michigan is too costly or time-consuming, do I have other options?
  • How can I administer my loved one's estate without disrupting my life and the lives of my family members?

Trusted In-State Probate Representatives for Non-Michigan Residents

At Hertz Schram PC, our Michigan-based attorneys can help you make the probate process as seamless as possible and minimize or even eliminate your need to travel to the state. We serve as in-state representatives and administrators for clients across the United States and throughout the world.

We know that you want to honor your loved one's memory and fulfill his or her wish that you serve as personal representative, but that doing so is not always feasible. Work obligations can make it difficult to take time off and travel. Coming to Michigan can be costly if you live far away. Other family obligations can, understandably, keep you tied to home.

Understanding this, we offer full-service probate representation that is designed to keep the process from intruding on your day-to-day life. We are able to handle all aspects of the administration process for you, including:

  • Filing all required documents with the probate court
  • Attending any hearings (as needed)
  • Preserving property and accounting for assets
  • Locating creditors and determining the validity of their claims
  • Contacting heirs
  • Distributing property
  • Handling estate tax issues

Our full-service estate and probate practice group is also equipped to handle any disputes or probate-related litigation should it arise. We encourage you to contact us to see how we can help you through the probate process and keep your need to travel to Michigan at a minimum.